First of all a big thank you to @anisesmith for Tweeting the link out to the app I’m about to share with you. I LOVE it! She shared it with her Twitter followers yesterday afternoon and, after playing around with it on silly household items (making pictures move – just like in Harry Potter), I decided that it was so very easy to use that I must be able to think of a way to use it in a classroom. As I’m and English teacher I decided that there was no better place to start than with Shakespeare!
Anise often tweets about SEO, marketing and QR and AR and although her tweet had nothing to do with education, what she sent me to look at got me thinking….The link she sent through was to a video made at the recent CES show. in it CNET‘s team were showing how they had set Aurasma to play a video about them and their company every time anyone pointed their phone (with the app) at their logo… Any of their logos, anywhere.
Basically the App lets you take a snap shot of something in front of you (in my case images on a worksheet) and then assign an object to that. When someone turns on the app and hovers their camera over the image you picked, the app recognises it and superimposes what ever you told it to. That can be an image or video from your phone or one of the free resources that comes with the APP. I think that this helps speed up the process a bit when you want to leave digital clues on a worksheet. Instead of QR codes students get to see the resource Augmented onto their work and (the good news is) it’s really, really easy to do!
If you want to see if the worksheet will work for you then:
2) If you don’t have Aurasma installed, the link will take you to the iOS App Store or Android Market; install the app then come back and click the link again.
3) The link will launch Aurasma, and share my Aura with you (which may take a while depending on your network speed).
4) As soon as the sharing is complete, follow my instructions above to find it.
- Aurasma Lite – Aurasma (itunes.apple.com)
- Aurasma Brings 3D Dinosaurs (And More) to Your Phone (pcworld.com)
- Aurasma Unleashes 3D Augmented Reality Dinos At CES (mathieson.typepad.com)
- Aurasma Augmented Reality App Lets You Add Virtual Content to Places (shoppingblog.com)
- You: Aurasma passes 3 million download mark since June launch – The Drum (thedrum.co.uk)
- Aurasma augmented reality: coolest thing at Consumer Electronics Show (c24.co.uk)